Five Great Home Additions to Consider
Not all home additions – or other home improvement projects, for that matter – are equally worth the time, money, and effort you are required to spend. What it really boils down to is whether an addition provides the added space and comfort you are after without becoming a money pit. The following is a list of home additions that are generally considered* to provide good “value” for the money:
- Attic bedroom – Converting your attic into a bedroom provides the highest return on investment (ROI) of any major home remodeling project. Although perhaps not technically home additions, attic bedrooms provide many, if not all, of the same benefits.
- Bathroom addition – This is a great addition for a growing family, or for someone who requires access to a bathroom on the ground floor.
- Garage addition – Adding a garage is relatively straightforward, as there is no plumbing, HVAC, or insulation required. Of course, a garage can always be heated if you so desire.
- Wood deck addition – Wood decks are relatively inexpensive and uncomplicated to build. They provide the highest ROI after attic bedrooms.
- Finished basement – Finishing the basement in your home can feel like you have doubled the size of your family’s living space in one fell swoop. This, too, has one of highest ROIs of all home additions, with an average cost recoupment of 79 percent.
A contractor in Charlottesville, VA, who specializes in home addition construction will be able to tell you more about what each of these additions involves.
*Source: Remodeling Magazine Cost vs. Value Report, 2013.