The Dos and Don’ts of Kitchen Renovation
Before you undertake a kitchen renovation project in your Charlottesville area home, step back and take a look at the big picture. It is a major investment of your money, and as such, deserves as much planning and preparation as possible. From setting a budget and hiring a contractor to choosing new appliances and living through the kitchen renovation process in general, there are lots of balls to juggle.
The following is a list of “dos” and “don’ts” that will keep your kitchen remodeling project on track:
- DO set a budget and stick to it – Break down what everything will cost in painstaking detail.
- DO set a timetable – Establish a deadline for when the work needs to be completed.
- DO replace your appliances – Budget permitting, go with stainless steel. It has a clean, modern look and holds its value well.
- DO plan on cooking/eating elsewhere temporarily – Your kitchen will be out of commission for most of the kitchen renovation process.
- DON’T hire the first contractor you meet – Instead, shop around. Get a feel for how the process works, and how much contractors in the Charlottesville area generally charge. Narrow your list down to two or three and choose the one you feel most confident working with.
- DON’T forget a contingency fund – Set some money aside, maybe 5 to 10 percent of the total project cost, to cover unforeseen expenses. You just never know what sort of surprises a kitchen renovation project can spring on you.